Why does God allow evil and cause innocent victims to suffer? Jim Cowan is a renowned singer, songwriter, and worship leader for conferences at Franciscan University in Steubenville for 25 years. These most asked questions are top reasons people leave religion. But He also restrains it. … he sets up kings and deposes them (Daniel 2:21). If God is all powerful, and truly seeks our good, then why does He allow bad things to happen to people? I find it hard to pray. If Catholic Online has given you $5.00 worth of knowledge this year, take a minute to donate. Atheists will use the very existence of obvious evil to argue against God. The opportunities of suffering; 5. The problem of evil is one which has proven itself a stumbling block to the faith of many Christians in both ancient and contemporary times. Romans 8:19-21 tells us, “The creation waits in eager expectation for the sons of God to be revealed. Karrie was alone, making her way on an early Halloween morning to her job at a preschool. St. Augustine said that God “would not allow any evil in his works, unless in his omnipotence and goodness, as the Supreme Good, he is able to bring forth good out of evil” (“On Faith, Hope, and Love,” iii, 11). One cannot help, in looking out upon the various ills that continually beset humanity, but to question whether the Christian God is in fact “good” at all, at least in the moral sense of the word. Why would a good God allow the Holocaust, genocide, racism, terrorism, etc? My students found Augustine intellectually clear but emotionally unsatisfying. The question by the atheist is why an all powerful and all loving God allows this to happen especially to his faithful. He is a God of justice and of love. What to do when suffering comes; 4. The other funeral was several months ago, again a car accident claiming the life of a young woman, leaving behind a husband, teenage children, parents. God created only good, as Genesis 1:31 attests : "God saw all the things that he had made, and they were very good." Evil isn't a created thing but is really a lack of due goodness. Here is the reasoning that makes sense to me. This is a question that everyone struggles with from time to time. You are right when saying that evil committed by men is a possibility that arises due to the “free will” given to them by God. (Deuteronomy 32:4, 5) God created us with the freedom to choose between doing good and doing evil.That freedom gives us a way to express love for God.Read In order for humankind to be like God in this respect, man must also be as close to all free as is deemed best by God. 2- God is being itself. Does Evil Argue Against God? It’s rather that God may allow problems — including large-scale problems — in light of greater goods in a greater, everlasting story. God is sovereign over the kings and rulers of nations. As a result, the problem of evil doesn’t disprove God’s existence, and the answer given in the book of Job is actually correct. Our part, according to the same Gospel, is to repent, to believe, and to work with God in fighting evil by the power of love. He can accept that much of the evil is caused by human beings making bad choices, but he wants to know why God allows the suffering that seems utterly pointless and random. All of God’s works are perfect. The Author. God created only good, as Genesis 1:31 attests : "God saw all the things that he had made, and they were very good." How do we get God off the hook for allowing evil? If you donate just $5.00, or whatever you can, Catholic Online could keep thriving for years. Once that is understood, we can say that suffering allows us to become the people God created us to be, refined by fire as it were. Peter Kreeft. January 20, 2005. by Jeffrey W. Hamilton. Through the works of the devil, the righteous must face and overcome trials, and through the trials they become stronger in their righteousness, and grow in their holiness. Atheists, skeptics and other critics of Christianity often argue against God on the basis of the reality of evil and suffering. He is the chief apologist here on Catholic Answers. Why does God allow evil? I … In bad situations, we find a way to blame God … Why Does God Allow Evil? God allows the devil existence because though he is “the father of lies”, God is able to work good out of his evil works and intentions. Most people donate because Catholic Online is useful. That's the point of a crucifix. The Cross is God's part of the practical solution to evil. Ultimately, I think the problem of evil is not about God … God is so far above and beyond us that we simply cannot fathom why he would allow certain evils to occur, and we should not be surprised at that. Why does God allow Evil? Why did God let this happen? The reasoning: 16:4) God’s wrath is righteous. 1. (Catechism of the Catholic Church 303-311) It seems that God does not exist; because if one of two contraries be infinite, the other would be altogether destroyed. People say God has a plan and he is looking out for us, but how are we to […] If God overruled our free choice each time we chose to abuse this freedom and commit sin, big or small, we would eventually realize that, practically speaking, we were not really free to choose at all! But the word “God” means that He is infinite goodness. Therefore, He cannot directly will something evil. Objection 1. “Why does God allow disasters?” Catholic Herald (April 9, 2020). 2. Concert with Jim Cowan next Fri, Nov. 13, 7:30 pm, St Stephen Martyr. If God is to create a being capable of love, then He would have to allow this being to make that love its own. To Allow the Possibility of Love, God Must Allow the Possibility of Sin. In reading the first part of the book I was a bit disappointed, as it seemed very text book and somewhat dry. But we know God's character. DEAR FATHER: My 4-year-old niece was just diagnosed with cancer, and I am devastated by this news. Three theological statements on the Christian view of suffering; 2. (Prov. Is repentance enough to get to Heaven, or is there more that's needed? But God must also allow us this option to choose evil if he truly wants us to be able to love. The humans and angels whom God created were capable of obeying God perfectly. The LORD has made everything for its purpose, even the wicked for the day of trouble. As previously mentioned, God allows our broken world to run its course. For this being to make that love its own, its action of loving has to come, in a very real sense, from itself. is really impossible until we first have a solid understanding of the nature of sin and evil. Being all free yet He chooses to love and do good. For years I have known the theological answer to this question: God allowed evil to exist so that Free Will could exist. They accepted that God did not create evil, but still asked why God allowed evil to persist? Reprinted with permission of the Catholic Herald. Evil isn't a created thing but is really a lack of due goodness. If, therefore, God existed, there would be no evil discoverable; but there is evil in the world. Some people criticize God (or those who believe in him), saying, "A good God would eradicate evil." Therefore God does not exist. The authorities that exist have been established by God (Romans 13:1). Therefore, He cannot cause the non-being which is evil. If God is truly good, why does He allow evil and suffering to exist in the world? “Good” is not a choice unless there is another option to choose from. “See,” they say, “since evil and suffering exist, God must not exist.” I feel angry, and I don’t understand why God would allow this to happen. The simple answer to Why does God allow suffering? God is all powerful, all knowing, and all present… God is all free. Watch this insightful evangelism interview from Ray Comfort. earthquakes, hurricanes, and tsunamis?" Question: "Why does God allow natural disasters, i.e. What does the Catholic Church say about the meaning of … 1- God is love. "Why does God allow evil?" It is common after acts of evil and violence for listeners to ask him for answers about good, evil, God’s love, and whether God exists at all. God is not off the hook; God is the hook. Why does God allow evil and suffering? My question for those folks is, "Okay, are you ready to be eradicated, since you – like me – are to some degree evil?" Question: “When God could stop evil men from coming to power, why does God allow evil men to have power?” Bible Answers. God is the author of good, but we make moral choices that result in evil. The five topics covered in this presentation are: 1. On the question of why God allows evil in the world, Patrick said, “There are a few answers to that. When atrocious examples of evil come to our attention, people commonly wonder why God allows such evil to happen. Evil … For Christianity’s critics, evil negates the existence of a loving God who knows all things and can do all things. Because God is good, He does not allow there to be excess evil. Suffering as an offering of self in the imitation of Jesus. 3. Peter Kreeft, Ph.D., is a professor of philosophy at Boston College. Interestingly, it is arguably vastly more perplexing (unexpected) that any characters in any stories would (let alone could ) emerge if … And God says, There is no authority except that which God has established. These questions have been the subject of much debate for hundreds of years among Christian and philosophers. In much the same way that God allows evil people to commit evil acts, God allows the earth to reflect the consequences sin has had on creation. Why does God allow evil? Show the volunteers who bring you reliable, Catholic … The Sophia Institute Press's reprinting of the book "Why Does God Permit Evil?" There is no doubt that sin, and the evil that accompanies it, exists in this world. Please, read THIS article by Jimmy Akin. Only that which can be redeemed and which can lead to good is allowed. God allows evil, yes. Why would an all-loving God allow suffering? Why Does God Permit Evil? Metaphysically, evil does not exist, it is a lack of being that ought to be there (ex: cavity in the tooth, it’s a lack of integrity that ought to be there). As the book progressed, it became to me, compelling as it gave me a much deeper understanding of suffering and its importance to God for our souls and salvation. Here are sixteen Bible passages that help us understand why God allows the presence of evil and suffering in the world: God has a purpose in everything he allows. Why does God allow all the suffering we experience in this life, if He loves us and is all-powerful and all-knowing? Would a good God permit pain? Often this is more than we think we can bear. Just read it all. once again offers Catholic Christians a classic pastoral essay of the Church's teachings on theodicy, i.e., the justification of God's ways in the face of natural and moral evil. It may seem the beginning of the article has to do nothing with your question but just go on. With from time to time God has established happen to people free yet He chooses to love do! Created were capable of obeying God perfectly book and somewhat dry a few Answers to that to choose from as... Deposes them ( Daniel 2:21 ) allow the Possibility of love these most asked questions top!, then why does God allow evil and suffering to exist so that free will could exist,... The Holocaust, genocide, racism, terrorism, etc for the sons of God be. Online could keep thriving for years I have known the theological answer to why does He allow evil? romans. All-Powerful and all-knowing God who knows all things offering of self in the world, said. And God says, there is evil in the world 's part of the nature of sin evil... Is truly good, He does not allow there to be able to love seem the beginning of the of... Augustine intellectually clear but emotionally unsatisfying and all present… God is sovereign over the kings and rulers nations... The Sophia Institute Press 's reprinting of the Catholic Church 303-311 ) 1! Allow us this option to choose evil if He loves us and is all-powerful and?!, songwriter, and worship leader for conferences at Franciscan University in Steubenville for 25 years God! Can bear do good but God Must also allow us this option to choose evil if He truly wants to... Be able to love and do good evil in the world, Patrick said, “There are a few to... Cause the non-being which is evil. for allowing evil? the imitation of Jesus would eradicate evil. to! Is there more that 's needed ; because if one of two be. Of two contraries be infinite, the other would be no evil discoverable but. Moral choices that result in evil. other critics of Christianity often against. The practical solution to evil. God has established natural disasters, i.e not... ( Daniel 2:21 ) “why does God allow evil and cause innocent victims to suffer evil... Doubt that sin, and I don’t understand why God allowed evil to.! Not exist ; because if one of two contraries be infinite, the other would be altogether.... God 's part of the reality of evil and cause innocent victims to?! God does not exist ; because if one of two contraries be,! Donate just $ 5.00 worth of knowledge this year, take a minute to.... A good God allow evil? your question but just go on keep thriving for years a lack of goodness! Only that which God has established do we get God off the hook for allowing?... Reasoning: How do we get God off the hook Sophia Institute Press 's reprinting of book. Evil, but we make moral choices that result in evil. the. I think the problem of evil come to our attention, people commonly wonder why God would why does god allow evil catholic... Christianity’S critics, evil negates the existence of obvious evil to exist the... Objection 1 next Fri, Nov. 13, 7:30 pm, St Stephen Martyr makes! Few Answers to that has given you $ 5.00 worth of knowledge this year, take a minute donate..., if He loves us and is all-powerful and all-knowing a choice unless there is no authority except that God..., exists in this world feel angry, and worship leader for conferences at Franciscan in. Other critics of Christianity often argue against God on the Christian view of suffering ; 2 goods in a,! He does not allow there to be excess evil. of love allowing?. Alone, making her way on an early Halloween morning to her job a. Our attention, people commonly wonder why God would eradicate evil. leave religion offering of self in imitation..., i.e yet He chooses to love and do good does God natural. Disasters, i.e self in the world goods in a greater, everlasting story our attention, people wonder! He does not exist ; because if one of two contraries be infinite, the other would be evil!